About the Department
Chemistry was one of the first subjects to be taught at the inauguration of BIU in October 1955.
Two major changes in recent years have propelled the department forward. Twelve new faculty members have been recruited in a variety of disciplines of chemistry. The department now possesses new capabilites in fields such as computational chemistry, structural biology, magnetic resonance, bio-inorganic chemistry, and nano-materials and devices, alongside the more established fields of medicinal chemistry, organic, inorganic and physical chemistry.
No less important was the founding in 2007 of BINA, the Bar-Ilan Institute of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials. This enterprise, with which 12 chemistry research groups are affiliated, is committed to advancing scientific achievements in the areas of nano-materials, nano-medicine, nano-Energy, nano-magnetism, nano-photonics, and nano-cleantech. In October 2009 six research groups moved into state-of-the-art laboratories in the Nanotechnology Triplex building. The BINA center brought with it courses, study programs and scholarships for students in the fields of material science, and strengthened the chemistry department considerably.