Dr. Ilana Perelshtein
2009-Present BAR-ILAN UNIVERSITY, Institute of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials Ramat-Gan, Israel
Postdoctoral Fellow in Electronic Microscopy
2005-2009 BAR-ILAN UNIVERSITY Ramat-Gan, Israel
Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry, Specialized in Nanotechnology and Materials Science
- Developed a one-step process for synthesis of antibacterial nanoparticles and their subsequent coating on surfaces as part of my thesis work supervised by Prof. A. Gedanken; technique was proven the most effective relative to existing techniques worldwide; method is registered as a full patent in US and Europe (see appx. C.1)
- Awarded prizes for publications in the field of Nanotechnology
2003-2005 BAR-ILAN UNIVERSITY Ramat-Gan, Israel
Master of Science in Physical Chemistry
- Thesis grade:94
2000-2003 BAR-ILAN UNIVERSITY Ramat-Gan, Israel
Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
2003-Present BAR-ILAN UNIVERSITY, Institute of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials Ramat-Gan, Israel
Research Assistant (2009-Present)
- Conducted an applicable research in the field of antibacterial and antibiofilm nanoparticles, and was the first to succeed in up-scaling a sonochemical method for production of antibacterial textiles;.
- Developed a novel mixed metal oxide compound introducing a synergetic effect 105-fold higher than pure
metal oxides in killing microorganisms; applied for a PCT patent (see appx. C.2)
- Participated in writing scientific grants while considering budget aspects;
- Composed scientific reports
- Published more than 35 research papers in peer-reviewed journals (see appx. A);
- Wrote ten book chapters/reviews in the field of Nanotechnology (see appx. B)
Project Manager, SONO (FP7) – a €8M European Project (2009-2013)
- Conducted an applicable research for up-scaling a lab-scale process; registered a patent (see appx. C.1) based on which two pilot machines for coating textiles have been developed and manufactured
- Coordinated 17 research groups across Europe, experiencing large-scale operations in a cross-functional and multi-cultural environment
- Supervised research and financials of all 17 project partners; all milestones met both schedule and high-standard quality bars
- Composed annual scientific reports for EC (European Committee)
- Presented research progress during quarterly international project meetings
HRTEM (High-Resolution Transmission Electron Microscope) Operator (2006-Present)
- Selected out of the entire department to learn and operate this instrument;
- Participated in advanced EDS course in UK in 2012;
- Scientific collaboration with scientists in BINA and abroad;
- Technical support of the instrument;
- Training of students in the operation of the device;
Researcher, LIDWINE (FP7) – (2007-2010)
- Led research at BIU while tightly collaborating with 5 research groups across Europe
Teaching Assistant (2003-2009)
- Tutoring of undergraduate students the 'General Chemistry for Biologists' class (2007-2009)
- Tutoring of undergraduate students the 'Laboratory of Physical Chemistry' class (2003-2007)
- Wrote the 'Introduction to Nanotechnology' course for the Open University (2014)
- Lead guest editor of special issue for Journal of Nanomaterials (2012)
- Full military service in IDF;
- Languages: native Hebrew; native Russian; fluent English
List of publications
1. I. Perelshtein, N. Perkas, Sh. Magdassi, T. Zioni, M. Royz, Z. Maor, A. Gedanken. Ultrasound-assisted dispersion of SrFe12O19 nanoparticles in organic solvents and the use of the dispersion as magnetic cosmetics. J. Nanopart. research 2008, 10, 191.
2. I. Perelshtein, G. Applerot, N. Perkas, G. Guibert, S. Mikhailov, and A.Gedanken. Sonochemical coating of silver nanoparticles on textile fabrics (nylon, polyester and cotton) and their antibacterial activity. Nanotechnology 2008, 19, 245705.
3. I. Grigoriants, B. Markovsky, R. Persky, I. Perelshtein, A. Gedanken, D. Aurbach, B. Filanovsky, T.Bourenko, I. Felner. Electrochemical reduction of trinitrotoluene on core–shell tin–carbon electrodes. Elect. Acta 2008, 54 ( 2), 690.
5. R.K. Selvan, I. Genish, I. Perelshtein, JMC Moreno, A.Gedanken. Single step, low-temperature synthesis of submicron-sized rare earth hexaborides. J. of Phys. Chem. C 2008, 112 (6), 1795.
6. R.K. Selvan, I. Perelshtein, N. Perkas, A.Gedanken. Synthesis of hexagonal-shaped SnO2 nanocrystals and SnO2@C nanocomposites for electrochemical redox supercapacitors J. of Phys. Chem. C 2008, 112 (6), 1825.
8. I. Perelshtein, G. Applerot, N. Perkas, E. Wehrschuetz-Sigl, A. Hasmann, G. M. Guebitz, A. Gedanken. Antibacterial Properties of an In-situ Generated and Simultaneously Deposited Nanocrystalline ZnO on Fabrics. ACS Applied Materials & Intefaces 2009, 1 (2), 361.
9. I. Perelshtein, G.Applerot, N. Perkas, E. Wehrschuetz-Sigl, A. Hasmann, G. Guebitz, A.Gedanken. CuO-cotton Nanocomposite: Formation, Morphology, and Antibacterial Activity. Surface & Coatings Technology 2009, 204, 54.
10. O. Abramov, A. Gedanken, Y. Koltypin, N. Perkas, I. Perelshtein, E. Joyce, T. J. Mason. Pilot Scale Sonochemical Coating of Nanoparticles onto Textiles to Produce Biocidal Fabrics. Surface & Coatings 2009, 204(5), 718.
11. I. Perelshtein, G.Applerot, N. Perkas, E. Wehrschuetz-Sigl, A. Hasmann, G. Guebitz, A. Gedanken. Ultrasound As A "Throwing Stones" Technique For Production Of Antibacterial Nanocomposite Textile. ACS Applied Materials&Interfaces 2010, 2(7), 1999.
12. T. Zioni1, N. Perkas, Y.Wolfus, Y. Soroka, I. Popov, M. Oron, I. Perelshtein, Y. Bruckental, F. M. Bre´ge´ge`re5, Z. Ma’or1, A. Gedanken, Y. Yeshurun, R. Neuman and Y. Milner. Strontium hexaferrite nanomagnets suspended in a cosmetic preparation: a convenient tool to evaluate the biological effects of surface magnetism on human skin Skin Research and Technology 2010, 16, 316.
13. E. Holodelshikov, I. Perelshtein, A.Gedanken. Synthesis of Air Stable FeCo/C Alloy Nanoparticles by Decomposing a Mixture of the Corresponding Metal-Acetyl Acetonates under Their Autogenic Pressure Inorganic Chemistry 2011, 50(4), 1288.
14. A.Gedanken, N. Perkas, I. Perelshtein, G. Applerot, A. Lipovsky, Y. Nitzan, R. Lubart. Preparation of Antimicrobial Textiles Using a Sonochemical Method. Recent Patents on Biomedical Engineering 2011, 4(1), 1.
15. B.Senthilkumar, R. Kalai Selvan, P. Inothbabu, I. Perelshtein, A. Gedanken. Structural, magnetic, electrical and electrochemical properties of NiFe2O4 synthesized by the molten salt technique Materials Chemistry and Physics 2011, 130(1-2), 285.
16. I. Perelshtein, G. Applerot, N. Perkas, J. Grinblat, A. Gedanken .A One-Step Process for the Antimicrobial Finishing of Textiles with Crystalline TiO2 Nanoparticles. Chemistry - A European Journal 2012, 18 (15), 4575.
17. I. Perelshtein, Y. Ruderman, N. Perkas, K. Traeger, T. Tzanov, J. Beddow, E. Joyce, T. J. Mason, M. Blanes, K.Molla, A. Gedanken. Enzymatic pre-treatment as a means of enhancing the antibacterial activity and stability of ZnO nanoparticles sonochemically coated on cotton fabrics. J. of Mater. Chem. 2012, 22(21), 10736. – Advanced Article.
18. E. Butovsky, I. Perelshtein, A. Gedanken. Air Stable Core-Shell Multilayer Metallic Nanoparticles Synthesized by RAPET: Fabrication, Characterization and their Suggested Applications. J. Mater. Chem., 2012, 22(30), 15025.
19. U. Shimanovich, I. Perelshtein, A. Cavaco-Paulo, A. Gedanken. Releasing dye encapsulated in proteinaceous microspheres on conductive fabrics by electric current ACS Applied Materials&Interfaces 2012, 4(6), 2926.
20. V.D. Nithya, R. J. Immanuel, S.T. Senthilkumar, C. Sanjeeviraja, I. Perelshtein, D. Zitoun, R. K. Selvan. Studies on the structural, electrical and magnetic properties of LaCrO3, LaCr0.5Cu0.5O3 and LaCr0.5Fe0.5O3 by sol–gel method. Materials Research Bulletin 2012, 47, 1861.
21. I. Perelshtein, Y. Ruderman, N. Perkas, J. Beddow, G. Singh, M. Vinatoru, E.Joyce, T.J. Mason, M. Blanes, K.Mollá, A. Gedanken. The Sonochemical Coating of Cotton Withstands 65 Washing Cycles at Hospital Washing Standards and Retains its Antibacterial Properties. Cellulose, 2013, 20(3), 1215.
22. I. Perelshtein, Y. Ruderman, N. Perkas, T. Tzanov, J. Beddow, E.Joyce, T.J. Mason, M. Blanes, K.Mollá, A. Patlolla, A. I. Frenkel, A. Gedanken. Chitosan and Chitosan-Zn-based complex Nanoparticles: Formation, Characterization, and Antibacterial Activity. J. Mater. Chem. B, 2013, 1, 1968.
23. E. Malka, I. Perelshtein, A. Lipovsky, N. Perkas, T. Patick, R. Lubart, Y. Nitzan, A. Gedanken. Eradication of Multi-Drug Resistant Bacteria by a Novel Zn-doped CuO Nanocomposite Small, 2013, 9(23), 4069.
24. A. Gedanken, V. Popov, Ean-Hin Ooi, T. J. Mason, E. M. Joyce, J. Beddow, I. Perelshtein, V. Bayazitov. A sonochemical technology for coating of textiles with antibacterial nanoparticles and equipment for its implementation. Materials Letters 2013, 96, 121.
25. E. Butovsky, I. Perelshtein, I. Nissan, A. Gedanken. Fabrication, Characterization and Printing of Conductive Ink Based on Multi Core-Shell Nanoparticles Synthesized by RAPET. Adv. Func. Mater. 2013, 23(46), 5794.
26. I. Perelshtein, E. Ruderman, A. Francesko, M. M. Fernandes, T. Tzanov, A. Gedanken. “Tannic Acid NPs - Synthesis and Immobilization OntoaSolid Surface inaOne – Step Process and Their Antibacterial and Anti-inflammatory Properties. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 2014, 21, 1916
27. P. Petkova, A. Francesko Margarida M. Fernandes, E. Mendoza, I. Perelshtein, A. Gedanken, and T. Tzanov, Sonochemical coating of textiles with hybrid biopolymer-metal oxide nano-antimicrobials" ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2014, 6, 1164−1172.
28. S. Yuvaraj, R. K. Selvan, V. Bhooshan Kumar, I. Perelshtein, A. Gedanken, S. Isakkimuthu, S. Arumugam. Sonochemical synthesis, structural, magnetic and grain size dependent electrical properties of NdVO4 nanoparticles. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 2014, 21(2), 599.
29. A. Abramova, A. Gedanken, V. Popov, E-H. Ooi, T. J. Mason, E. M. Joyce, J. Beddow, I. Perelshtein, V. Bayazitov A sonochemical technology for coating of textiles with antibacterial nanoparticles and equipment for its implementation Materials Letters 2013, 96, 121.
30. A. V. Abramova, V. O. Abramov, A. Gedanken, I. Perelshtein and V. M. Bayazitov An ultrasonic technology for production of antibacterial nanomaterials and their coating on textiles Beilstein J. Nanotechnol. 2014, 5, 532.
31. E. Shawat, I. Perelshtein, A. Westover, C. L. Pint, and Gilbert D. Nessim, Ultra high-yield one-step synthesis of conductive, and superhydrophobic three-dimensional mats of carbon nanofibers via full catalysis of unconstrained thin film. J. Mater. Chem. A, 2014, 2, 15118.
32. A. Francesko, M. M. Fernandes, I. Perelshtein, E. Benisvy-Aharonovich, Aharon Gedanken and Tzanko Tzanov* One-step sonochemical preparation of redoxresponsive nanocapsules for glutathione mediated RNA release Journal of Materials Chemistry B 2014, 2, 6020.
33. I. Perelshtein, A. Lipovsky, N. Perkas, A. Gedanken, E. Moschini, P. Mantecca The Influence of the Crystalline Nature of Metal Oxides on Their Antibacterial and Toxicity Properties 2015 Nano Research 8(2), 695-707.
34. E. Segal, I. Perelshtein, A. Gedanken A Novel Sonochemical Synthesis of Antlerite Nanorods Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 2015, 22, 30.
35. I. Perelshtein, A. Lipovsky, N. Perkas, A. Gedanken, Making the Hospital a Safer Place by Sonochemical Coating of all its Textiles with Antibacterial Nanoparticles. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 2015, 25, 82.
36. V. Kuamr. I. Perelshtein, Z. Porat, A. Gedanken, The Sonochemical Synthesis of Ga@C-dots Particles RSC Advances 2015, 5(32), 25533.
37. V. Kuamr. I. Perelshtein, Z. Porat, A. Gedanken, Reduction of metallic ions by molten gallium under ultrasonic irradiation and interactions between the formed metals and the gallium. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 2015, 637, 538.
38. P. Mantecca, E. Moschini, P. Bonfanti, U. Fascio, I. Perelshtein, A. Lipovsky, G. Chirico, R. Bacchetta, L. Del giacco, A. Colombo, A. Gedanken, Toxicity Evaluation of a New Zn-doped CuO Nanocomposite: a Highly Effective Antibacterial Agent. Toxicol. Scien. 2015, 1.
39. A. Lipovsky, B. Thallinger, I. Perelstein, R. Ludwig, C. Sygmund, G. S. Nyanhongo, G. M. Guebitz, A. Gedanken “Ultrasound coating of polydimethylsiloxanes with antimicrobial enzymes” J. Mater. Chem. B accepted July 2015
40. P. Petkova, A. Francesko, I. Perelshtein, A. Gedanken, T. Tzanov, Simultaneous One-pot solvent free sonochemical-enzymatic coating of medical textiles with antibacterial ZnO nanoparticles Ultrasonics Sonochemistry Accepted 2015
41. I. Perelshtein, A. Lipovsky, N. Perkas, T. Tzanov and A. Gedanken, Imparting functional properties to substrate by a simultaneous co-deposition of active nanoparticles submitted to Ultrasonics Sonochemistry
Appendix B - Book Chapters and Reviewes:
1. N. Perkas, A. Gedanken, I. Perelshtein, U. Angel Embedding Antibacterial Inorganic Nanoparticles and Proteinaceous Microspheres in Textiles by a Sonochemical Method. Nanotechnologies. Chapter 11 in Nanotechnologies for Solubilization and Delivery in Foods, Cosmetics and Pharmaceuticals. DeskTech Publication Inc., 2011, pp. 337-362.
2. N. Perkas, A. Gedanken, E. Wehrschuetz-Sigl, G. M. Guebitz, I. Perelshtein, G. Applerot Innovative Inorganic Nanoparticles with Antibacterial properties Attached to Textiles by Sonochemistry. Chapter 14 in Inorganic Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Applications, and Perspectives, Enrico CRC Press 2011, pp. 367-391.
3. I. Perelshtein, N. Perkas, G. Applerot, A. Gedanken. A Novel Method for Antimicrobial Finishing of Textile with Inorganic Nanoparticles by Sonochemistry. Chapter 11 In Textiles: Types, Uses and Production Methods. Ed. Ahmed El Nmr, Nova Science Publisher Inc. 2011, 29 p.
4. I. Perelshtein, N. Perkas, A. Gedanken. Coating Antibacterial Nanoparticles on Textiles: Towards the Future Hospital in which all the Textiles will be Antibacterial. Dibenedetto & Aresta (Eds): Inorganic Micro- and Nanomaterials, 2013.
5. A. Gedanken N. Perkas, I. Perelstein, G. Applerot, A. Lipovsky, Y. Nitzan and R. Lubart. “Innovative Inorganic Nanoparticles with Antimicrobial Properties Attached to Textiles by Sonochemistry” Cavitation: A Novel Energy-Efficient Technique for the Generation of Nanomaterials Pan Stanford Publishing 2014
6. A. Gedanken, I. Perelshtein. Sonochemistry: A method for the synthesis of Nanomaterials, Power Ultrasonics :Woodhead Publishing, 2014
7. A. Lipovsky, I. Perelstein, N. Perkas, R. Lubart, A. Gedanken, Metal Oxide Nanoparticles as a Source for ROS: Their Application in the Fabrication of Antimicrobial Textiles. Handbook on Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS): Formation Mechanisms, Physiological Roles and Common Harmful Effects 2014, 169-196.
8. I. Perelshtein, N. Perkas A. Gedanken “Making the hospital a safer place by the sonochemical coating of textiles by antibacterial nanoparticles Nanobiomaterials in Antimicrobial Therapy: Applications of Nanobiomaterials” Submitted on April 2015
9. I. Perelshtein, N. Perkas and A. Gedanken “Ultrasonic Coating of Textiles by Antibacterial and Antibiofilm Nanoparticles’ Handbook of Ultrasonics and Sonochemistry, Submitted on April 2015
10. A. Gedanken, I. Perelshtein, N. Perkas, The Use of Metal Oxide Nanoparticles in Reducing Bacterial Infection Threats in Hospitals Encyclopedia submitted on July
1. Sonochemical Coating of Textiles with of Metal Oxides (ZnO, MgO, CuO)
Nanoparticles for Producing an Antimicrobial Fabrics. Gedanken A., Nitzan Y.,
Perelshtein I., Perkas N., Applerot G. – In a National Phase 61/129, 472; 30.06.2008.
2. A Synergetic Effect in Killing Microorganisms Using Sonochemically Deposited Nanoparticles of Cu1-xZnxO. Gedanken A., Malka E., Perelshtein I., Perkas N., Lipovsky A., Nitzan Y. US PTO 615 73 192; 22.09.2011.