Dr. Moshe Ben-Tzion
Dr. Ben-Tzion received his B.Sc. with honors in Chemistry from Brooklyn College in 1966. He then continued his graduate studies at Cornell University, receiving his Ph.D. in 1971 under the supervision of Prof. M.J. Goldstein. He came on aliya in 1972 as a post doctoral fellow with Prof. M. Sprecher at Bar-Ilan and joined the faculty of the Chemistry Department in 1973. He has held the position of deputy chairman since 1988 until his retirement in 2013.
The Dr. Abraham Margalit Memorial Award for the advancement of technological education in Israel. Awarded by the Center for Technological Education in Holon for development of the course:
COMPUTERS IN THE LABORATORY - A novel method for teaching on-line computing.
IBM Scientific Center, Haifa, for the proposal: "IBM PC Workstations in an Instructional Computer Laboratory".
- S. Hoz, D. Aurbach, Dept. of Chemistry, Bar-Ilan University.
- Z. Dubinsky, Y. Achituv, Department of Marine Ecology, Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar-Ilan University.
- G. Yadid, A. Susswein, Department of Brain Research, Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar-Ilan University.
- P. Falkowski, M. Gurbanov, M. Vitadello, The Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick , NJ.
- D. Mauzerall, Rockefeller University, New York, NY.
- Dikshtein, Yahav; Barnea, Royi; Kronfeld, Noam; Lax, Elad; Roth-Deri, Ilana; Friedman, Alexander; Gispan, Iris; Elharrar, Einat; Levy, Sarit; Ben-Tzion, Moshe; et al, β-Endorphin via the Delta Opioid Receptor is a Major Factor in the Incubation of Cocaine Craving, Neuropsychopharmacology, 38(12), 2508-2514 (2013)
- Bouhadana, Yaniv; Avraham, Eran; Noked, Malachi; Ben-Tzion, Moshe; Soffer, Abraham; Aurbach, Doron Capacitive Deionization of NaCl Solutions at Non-Steady-State Conditions: Inversion Functionality of the Carbon Electrodes.J.Phys. Chem., in press (2011)
- Yaniv Bouhadana, Moshe Ben-Tzion, Abraham Soffer and Doron Aurbach, "A control system for operating and investigating reactors: The demonstration of parasitic reactions in the water desalination by capacitive de-ionization", Desalination, 268(1-3), 253-261(2011).
- Friedman A., Lax E., Dikshtein Y., Abraham L., Flaumenhaft Y., Sudai E., Ben-Tzion M., Yadid G. Electrical stimulation of the lateral habenula produces an inhibitory effect on sucrose self-administration. Neuropharmacology 60: 381-387, 2011.
- Sudai E., Croitoru O., Shaldubina A., Abraham L., Gispan I., Flaumenhaft Y., Roth-Deri I., Kinor N., Aharoni S., Ben-Tzion M., Yadid, G. High cocaine dosage decreases neurogenesis in the hippocampus and impairs working memory. Addiction Biol. 16: 251-260, 2011.
- Friedman A., Lax E., Dikshtein Y., Abraham L., Flaumenhaft Y., Sudai E., Ben-Tzion M., Lavi A., Yaka R., Yadid G. Electrical stimulation of the lateral habenula produces enduring inhibitory effect on cocaine seeking behavior. Neuropsychopharmacology 59: 452-459, 2010.
- Grinblat, J., Ben-Zion, M., Hoz, Shmaryahu. " Halophilic Rreactions: Anomalies in Bromine Transfer Reactions" J. Am. Chem. Soc., vol. 123, 2001, p. 10738-10739.
- Gurevitch, M., Amiel, Aliza, Ben-Zion, M., Feigin, M., Bartoov, Benjamin. "Acrocentric Centromere Organization Within the Chromocenter of the Human Sperm Nucleus" Mol Reprod Dev, vol. 60, 2001, p. 507-516.
- Malakhovskii, A.V. and Ben-Zion, M. "Temporal Evolution of Free Neutral and Ionized Argon Clusters" Surface Sci, vol. 482-485, 2001, p. 1255-1260.
- Malakhovskii, A. and Ben-Zion, M. "Temporal Evolution of an Argon Cluster During the Process of Its Evaporation" Chem. Phys., vol. 264, 2001, p. 135-143.
- Vago, R., Shai, Y., Achituv, Yair, Ben-Zion, M., Dubinsky, Zvy. "Computerized tomography and image analysis, a tool for examining the skeletal characteristics of reef-building organisms" Limnol. & Oceanog., vol. 39, 1998, p. 448.
- Vago, R.; Ben-Zion, M.; Dubinsky, Z.; Genin, A. and Kizner, Z. "Growth Rates of Three Symbiotic Corals in the Red Sea" Limnology and Oceanography, vol. 42, 1997, p. 1814-1819.
- Aurbach, D.; Zaban, A.; Gofer, Y.; Abramson, O. and Ben-Zion, M. "Studies of Li Anodes in the Electrolyte System - 2Me-THF/ THF/Me-Furan/LiAsF6" J. Electrochem. Soc., vol. 142, 1995, p. 687-696.
- Vago, R.; Vago, E.; Achituv, Y.; Ben-Zion, M. and Dubinsky, Z. "A Non-Destructive Method for Monitoring Coral Growth Affected by Anthropogenic and Natural Long Term Changes" Bulletin Marine Science, vol. 55, 1994, p. 126-132.
- Achituv, Y.; Ben-Zion, M. and Mizrahi, L. "Carbohydrate, lipid, and protein composition of zooxanthellae and animal fractions of the coral Pocillopora damicornis exposed to ammonium enrichment." Pac. Sci., vol. 48, 1994, p. 224-233.
- Aurbach, D.; Gofer, Y.; Ben-Zion, M. and Aped, P. "The Behavior of Lithium Electrodes in Propylene and Ethylene Carbonate: The Major Factors That Influence Li Cycling Efficiency" J. Electroanal. Chem., vol. 339, 1992, p. 451.
- Aurbach, D.; Gofer, Y. and Ben-Zion, M. "Solutions of lithium hexafluoroarsenate in 1,3-dioxolane for secondary lithium batteries." J. Power Sources, vol. 39, 1992, p. 163.
- Ben-Zion, M.; Aurbach, D. and Gofer, Y. "Stabilization and Improvements of Lithium _Battery Electrolyte Solutions Based on 1,3- Dioxolane_ - Proceedings of the Symposium on High _Power, Ambient Temperature Li Batteries" Electrochem. Soc._, 1992, p. 145-156.
- Ben-Zion, M., Achituv, Yair, Stambler, Noga, Dubinsky, Zvy. "A Photographic Computerized Method for Measurements of Surface Area in Millepora" Symbiosis, vol. 10, 1991, p. 115-121.
- Rahav, O., Ben-Zion, M., Achituv, Yair, Dubinsky, Zvy. "A Photographic Computerized Method for in situ Growth Measurements in Reef-Building Cnidarians" Coral Reefs, vol. 9, 1991, p. 204.
- Ziv, I.; Lustig, C.; Ben-Zion, M. and Susswein, A.J. "Daily Variation of Multiple Behaviors in Aplysia Fasciata: Integration of Feeding, Reproduction and Locomotion" Behav Neural Biol, vol. 55, 1991, p. 86-107.
- Dubinsky, Zvy, Stambler, Noga, Ben-Zion, M., McCloskey, L., Falkowski, P., Muscatine, L.. "Corals as Light Collectors: A Study of Nutrient Effects on the Optical Properties and Photosynthetic Efficiency of Stylophora Pistillata" Proc. R. Soc., vol. 239, 1990, p. 231-246.
- Dubinsky, Z. and Ben-Zion, M. "An On-Line System for Measuring the Rate and Characteristics of Photosynthesis in Phytoplankton Via an Oxygen Electrode" J. Plankton Research, vol. 10, 1988, p. 555-558.
- Offir, B. and Ben-Zion, M. "Teaching Electricity Using Micro-Computers Synchronized with Video Tape Recordings" Educational Media, vol. 1, 1982, p. 20.
- Ben-Zion, M. and Offir, B. "An Integrated Videotape-Computer System for Teaching Electricity Theory" Maydaon, vol. 12, 1981, p. 18.
- Hoz, S. and Ben-Zion, M. "Non-Linear Hammet Plots: A Non-Traditional Interpretation" J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Comm., 1980, p. 453-454.
- Ben-Zion, M. and Hoz, S. "Interactive Classroom Graphics: Simulating Non-Linear Arrhenius Plots" Educ. Chem., vol. 17, 1980, p. 101.
- Ben-Zion, M. and Goldschmidt, Z. "Simulated NMR Spectrometry and Shift Reagents" J. Chem. Ed., vol. 54, 1977, p. 669.
- Ben-Zion, M. "KINDAT and Kinetics - Introducing Undergraduates to the Computer" J. Chem. Ed., vol. 53, 1976, p. 436.
- Goldstein, M.J., Benzon, M.. "Linear analysis of labeling experiments. Application to sigmatropic rearrangements of 1,5-hexadiene " J. Am. Chem. Soc., vol. 94, 1972, p. 7149.
- Goldstein, M.J., Benzon, M.. "Boat and Chair Transition States of Hexa-1, 5-Diene" J. Am. Chem. Soc., vol. 94, 1972, p. 7147
- Goldstein, M.J., Benzon, M.. "Inversion and Stereospecific Cleavage of Bicyclo[2.2.0] Hexane" J. Am. Chem. Soc., vol. 94, 1972, p. 5119.
PAPERS & POSTERS
- "Computers in the Laboratory – Calibrating a Thermistor ", M. Ben-Tzion. A poster presented at the Workshop on Undergraduate Laboratories – Traditional and Modern Approaches, Safed (2008)
- "A New Technique for Measuring Growth Rates, Detecting Convergent Morphological Properties and Observing Organisms in Hermatypic Corals, R. Vago, Y. Achituv, M. Ben-Zion and Z. Dubinsky. A poster presented at the 1st International Symbiosis Congress, Jerusalem (1991)
- "Computers in the Laboratory - A novel method for teaching on-line computing", M. Ben-Zion. A poster presented at the 50th Annual Meeting of the Israel Chemical Society, Jerusalem (1984)
- "Computers in the Undergraduate Curriculum: Industrial Chemistry and the Williams-Otto Simulation", M. Ben-Zion and R. Levy. A paper presented at the 45th Annual Meeting of the Israel Chemical Society, Haifa (1978)
- "Simulated NMR Spectrometry and Shift Reagents", M. Ben-Zion and Z. Goldschmidt. A paper presented at the 44th Annual Meeting of the Israel Chemical Society, Ramat-Gan (1977)
- "The Photochemistry of cis and trans-Decalin-1, 4-diones", C. Drucker, M.S. Benzon and M. Sprecher. A paper presented at the VIIth International Conference on Photochemistry, Jerusalem, Israel (1973)
Laboratory in General and Analytical Chemistry
Introduction to Computing
Introduction to Computers for Chemists
Computers in the Laboratory
Microprocessors in the Laboratory
Advanced Analytical Chemistry
Advanced LabVIEW Workshop
- Hardware and software design of interfaces for chemical and biological experimental systems
- Computer-augmented laboratory experiments
- Microprocessor based pedagogical aids
- Computer-assisted instructional programs
- Computer-Augmented Laboratory: This experiment is the first in a series of exercises that are part of a course designed to familiarize chemistry students with the theory and practice of automated data collection, data processing and computer control of experiments.
The students are instructed to assume a linear response for their thermistor over the 0-100°C temperature range and calibrate it accordingly by measuring the voltage at the temperature extremes. This provides them with a δT/δV value which can be inserted into the linear equation in their data collection program.They record the temperatures for their thermometer and thermistor as well as the raw voltage over the whole range (HOT=>COLD) at intervals of ~5°C.
A curve of T vs V is plotted and the linear least squares best fit line (trendline) and the correlation coefficient (R²) are determined.
If the results of the linear fit are not satisfactory, a second or third order polynomial or exponential fit is attempted.
Finally, the students rewrite their data collection program to handle the corrected equation and verify experimentally that the thermistor response is now accurate.
Hardware/Software Design: This program, written in LabVIEW (National Instruments), is designed to control the operation of 16 cages, monitor the reactions of the test animals, administer a predetermined dose of narcotic and output a data file of their activity. The program utilizes 64 digital channels. The input bits correspond to a “dummy” lever and “real” lever for each of the 16 cages which monitor the “learning progress” of the test subjects. The output bits correspond to the light and pump which stimulate the subject and administer the drug, respectively, for each of the cages. Parameters, which can be set for each cage, include the number of lever hits required for a dose, the maximum number of doses that can be administered and the length of time that the light and pump will be on. The output file, which contains all of the activity occurring during the experiment, is in an Excel-ready format.
Hardware/Software Design: A hardware/software combination affording a rapid and accurate determination of the photosynthesis - light irradiation relationship (P vs. I) was developed. By interfacing an oxygen electrode/amplifier system directly to a PC, it is possible to evaluate the in situ production rate of oxygen, dO2/dt, for different light intensities and subsequently produce an overall "P vs. I" curve for symbiotic coral-algae systems in a realtime environment. Parameters are calculated for an inverse quadratic as well as for a hyberbolic tangent fit.